Since Halloween is coming up, I decided to make some festive halloween inspired cupcakes! How cute are these little guys!? I'm not really into the creepy halloween desserts that resemble.. well.. you know.. things you wouldn't normally want to eat (ew), so that is why I made these little fellas!
This recipe came from the book: What's New, Cupcake? That book is FULL of creative ideas like this one! I highly recommend it if you're the cupcake type :)
What you will need:
(I wrote the recipe out as if you had store-bought cupcakes. I made mine from scratch, but either will do!)
- 12 vanilla cupcakes baked in orange, green, and purple paper
- 12 mini vanilla cupcakes, paper liners removed
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Neon green, blue, and purple food coloring (you can use whatever colors you want)
- 24 mini lollipops (Dum Dums), unwrapped
- 24 peach or green apple gummy rings (O’s)
- 24 brown mini candy coated chocolates (M&M’s Minis)
- 12 assorted color candy-coated chocolates (M&M’s Minis)
1. Spoon 2 tablespoons vanilla frosting into a small ziplock bag. Divide the remaining vanilla frosting among three bowls and tint each a different color with the food coloring. Spoon each color of frosting into a separate ziplock bag, press out the excess air, and seal the bags.
2. Insert a lollipop stick through a gummy ring, pushing it through the candy from the center to outer edge. Bring the gummy ring up around the lollipop to make the eyes. Continue with the remaining gummy rings and lollipops.
3. Snip a small corner from the bags with the frostings. Pipe a dot of tinted frosting on top of the standard cupcakes. Place a mini cupcake on top, flat side down. Starting at the edge of the standard cupcake and using the tinted frosting, pipe "fur" with a squeeze-release-pull action. Continue until the entire cupcake is covered. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes and colored frosting.
4. Insert 2 lollipop eyes into the top of each cupcake. Pipe a dot of vanilla frosting in the center of each lollipop and add a brown candy for the pupil. Add a colored candy to the top of the frosting for the nose. Repeat with the remaining lollipop eyes and cupcakes.